My boys like rodents. We have 2 guinea pigs and they are our only pets. My youngest son has several rodent stuffed animals. His favourites are Hammy (a hamster puppet) and Squeaky (a mouse puppet).
When I discovered the Humphrey books by Betty G. Birney, it was love at first squeak. :)
Here is a list - note: you don't need to read them in order.
1. The World According to Humphrey
2. Friendship According to Humphrey
3. Trouble According to Humphrey
4. Surprises According to Humphrey
5. Adventures According to Humphrey = my personal favourite. The audio version has excerpts from Treasure Island included.
6. Summer According to Humphrey
Why do I (and my boys) love the Humphrey books?
- they are funny
- they have positive messages
- the situations in the books are ones that my boys can relate to. Humphrey is the classroom pet in maybe a grade 2 or grade 3 classroom.
- they also come in audio versions
- they contain lots of vocabulary words
I've even started talking like Humphrey - these books are good good good!
Reading level: 4